My First Fall

The past couple of days have been building up to the long awaited entrance into our home state of Illinois. It’s hard to believe that in only 15 days, only 14 of which were actually ride days, we will be on our stomping grounds of Champaign, IL. The anticipation has been apparent as each rider has been talking about plans for Champaign for what seems like months now. Everyone is talking about what restaurants to go to and which friends to see and what time to do everything since we are only going to be there for one night.

For me, I have a few things I have to accomplish while on campus. The first is to eat at the Fat Sandwich Company. After riding so much, I feel like I can eat anything and will promptly burn it all off. This may be the only time I will eat the sandwich that has cheesesteak, chicken fingers, bacon, mozzarella sticks, french fries, and ketchup and mayo all on one delicious hoagie roll and not feel completely guilty on the inside. The next thing I plan on doing is seeing all of my friends still at campus over the summer. The time between sophomore and junior year seems to be the most popular time to stay in Chambana for the summer and I’m excited to see everybody. I also want to visit both of my places of employment and say hello to all of my co-workers. I want to do all of this while still going to bed at a reasonable hour so hopefully we arrive a little earlier in the day!

As you can probably infer by the title of this post, I faced my first fall. It happened yesterday on the ride from Richmond to Indianapolis at around mile 38 of 84. We were riding in a residential area and out of no where a dog came running right in front of us. And this was no chihuahua either, it might have been the biggest dog I’ve ever seen. Since I was going around 20 mph, I hit the dog square in the chest and flipped over hitting my head on the ground. I have never been more thankful for a safety requirement in my entire life. I am sure I would have been in the hospital overnight if it wasn’t for my trusty helmet. I rode the next twenty-some miles and felt too lightheaded and went in the van to the stayover.

Today I drove the support vehicle which I think was for the best. It was a nice rest and it was also a pleasure being able to blast my ipod through the van speakers and DJ for the rest stops. I hope everyone enjoyed my playlists!

Anyway Jan is making me play a card game now so I have to go but I cannot wait for Champaign tomorrow and Chicago within the next couple of days. Everyone get pumped because I4K is coming to town!

Comments (4)
  • Eileen Rock says:

    I’m glad that you are alright! You didn’t mention anything about your bike or the dog, for that matter, so I’m assuming they are both OK too. The sandwich sounds unbelievable! Enjoy!
    Linsey’s Mom

  • Nancy & Larry Replogle says:

    Yikes — sounds like you had a very close call. So glad to hear you are OK. Enjoy your victory lap around the UIUC Quad!! See you in Chicago.
    Nancy & Larry Replogle

  • Gayle Winters says:

    Sean, how scary for you!! Maybe you should have the hospital take a cat scan of your head while you are in Champaign just to be on the safe side. It sounds like you took a pretty hard hit to your head. Enjoy your time in Champaign.

  • Way to go SEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It certainly wasn’t your first bike fall–however, I hope it is your last!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can’t wait to see you!!
    Love, MOM

Leave a Reply